What is ASERCA?
Support and Services for Agricultural Trading (ASERCA) is an administrative part of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food (SAGARPA), created through a presidential decree of April 16, 1991, with the purpose of having an instrument to boost the marketing of agricultural production for the benefit of rural producers, facing the external opening and liberalization of markets.
There are two basic functions:
- The first covers the area of strengthening agricultural trading, which is done through fiscal support to the marketing of grains and oilseeds, incentives to use price risk hedging, generation and dissemination of market information and identification and promotion of exports.
- The second function is to operate and administer the Direct Field Support Program (PROCAMPO). To do so, performs the directory integration of land and farmers, is made for the cycle by cycle regulation, and are recorded each year, more than four million applications for re-registration and payment are issued three million producers, covering a surface area of 14 million hectares.
Support and Services for Agricultural Trading, (ASERCA), as a decentralized administrative part of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Alimentary, has to design, implement, monitor and evaluate public policies in terms of support to the field and contemplated by the National Development Plan, as well as in the Sector Program for the medium term, to strengthen the development of the sector, agricultural profitability and revenue from domestic producers, through the implementation of programs of direct support to producers and the promotion of mechanisms for financing and organizing, for their incorporation in a condition of competitiveness and profitability to the agro-alimentary chains of national and international markets.
Strengthen the presence of SAGARPA through ASERCA in rural areas and place it as an institution of excellence that is recognized for its commitment in the development and modernization of the countryside, and actively participate in the definition of sectoral policies in terms of support and services for the production and marketing.
ASERCA aims to achieve the elimination of extreme poverty in rural areas; achieve efficient diversification of products by region; promote an enrichment of the diet of the population, reflecting the cultural characteristics of the regions and the country, organizing and integrating producers in agro-industrial chains; strengthen federalism and regional development; transform subsidies in incentives to generate positive impacts on production and marketing to achieve development and modernization of the food industry, and contribute to sustainability.
Our priority is to strengthen both the domestic and export sectors, which meet the demand quantity and quality of food and supplies, as part of an efficient trading system and market, allowing equal access to both buyers and sellers to financing, risk management, storage, certification and post-harvest handling, and which results in obtaining better levels of profitability, and generating value and employment opportunities for the producers in the field.
Source: Support Services for Agricultural Marketing http://www.aserca.gob.mx/subhomes/AboutASERCA.asp
Agricultural and Fisheries Market Development Program and Information, and its Component for the Promotion of Exhibitions and Fairs.
The promotion of trade and export promotion of agricultural and fishing industry is one of the most recent responsibilities entrusted ASERCA SAGARPA. Until July 2001, these functions were performed by different areas of the Secretariat, there is little coordination of actions and an absence in the achievement of specific objectives, that is why it was decided to concentrate the responsibilities to promote and export promotion in ASERCA, as the Decentralized Body specializes in addressing issues related to marketing.
From 2001 to ASERCA assigned to new powers such as those related to international trade, the introduction of a different view of carrying out the projects and the creation of innovative programs and activities. As proposed the formation of the General Coordination of Trade Promotion and Export Development, which was approved in November 2001 with the following functions:
- Coordinate participation in the development of support schemes to promote national and international marketing. Promote programs and training organization of producers, traders and industrialists.
- Promote and develop overseas markets for the export of domestic food products, through the participation of the Secretariat and producers of food products in fairs, events and trade missions.
- Implement information systems in public and private national and international food markets.
- Promote schemes and mechanisms to participation and partnership of producers and domestic and foreign trading companies.
- Develop proposals for trade promotion activities and promotion of exports.
- Participate in the integration and analysis of proposals for international cooperation.
- Coordinate the participation of the Secretariat as well as representation in meetings and national and international events related to foreign trade.
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the establishment and operation of the Agricultural Departments abroad.
- Coordinate the use of incentives, supports and other instruments that are established in foreign trade.
- Participate in identifying marketing opportunities for Mexican food products and to link the supply of products and byproducts of the field with national and international markets.
For its part, SAGARPA has five ministries abroad - USA, Canada, EU, Japan, 2005 (from 2006) and Central America -, which are being integrated into this Coordination and redirected towards a more active in trade promotion, serving as a cornerstone in the identification of export demand, market information, organization of business missions and the promotion of Mexican food products. As part of the strategies of the General Coordination SAGARPA development and implement the virtuous circle of agricultural marketing in Mexico, which is a set of programs, actions and processes that provide a comprehensive manner and establish a field of optimal conditions to promote Competitiveness and agri-food marketing in terms of quality, health and plant health, which has been operating since 2001.
Facilitating the access of Mexican food products to domestic and international markets through support in advocacy, counseling, training, certification and access to financial instruments to make them more competitive.
Being recognized as the government body that facilitates the integration of marketing processes and fish food products nationally and internationally.
Source: Support Services for Agricultural Marketing http://www.infoaserca.gob.mx/mexbest/SobreMexbest.asp